Monday, February 20, 2006

Interview!

Just got a call from Penelope Dixon & Associates, one of the places I sent my resume about two weeks ago (see Feb. 7, 2006: Job Hunting), to schedule an interview for this coming Wednesday for their Office Manager position.

I must admit that I am a little freaked out about going on an interview for the first time in 4 years. The position entails the usual office stuff, plus helping out with other duties around the office, as the guy on the phone explained. It would be for a test period of 6 months, 40 hours a week for a per-week fee, with an option at the end of the test period to become a salaried employee.

The way I see it I don't lose anything by going to the interview. The only problems I could forsee are my specific time requirements as an observant Jew and the trip to Holland/Belgium we have coming up in June-July. All I can do is be honest and upfront and let G-d take care of the rest.

Funny thing is that this weekend I finished talking to this man (Yehuda) from our synagogue who runs his own web development/marketing company called Sites That Sell Network. Yehuda runs a small-but-profitable suit that right now is stuck because he can't handle more work. I am also in a test period with him, doing one site ahead so he can get a good handle on my abilities and I can get a good handle on the businesses he does development for.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out now. I like the flexibility that doing at-home web development brings, but I also like the certainty of a regular paycheck. Perhaps I can do both? Not sure; Highmoon would suffer and I'd probably end up with little time to do other things.

I'm not gonna worry about that now. My main concern right now is finding a place where I can have one of my nice dress shirts dry-cleaned in one day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can feel your pain. I've got two regular clients for my civil design business but neither of them are the best about keepin the work steady. Almost daily I ask myself if I should be starting up a web business, myself. ;)

Just remember that it will work out how it is supposed to work out, even if you don't see the reasoning behind it right away.

Good luck on the interview!

Daniel M. Perez said...

Thanks. :-)