Saturday, February 11, 2006

I Had A Dream Last Night

Quite a strange one, too.

I was observing the action unfold. There was a man, whom I knew to be an Academician. I can only describe him like a professor version of Ebenezer Scrooge, that whole Victorian look, with the small round glasses, and the black graduation-type gown professors still wear in Cambridge or Oxford. This man was incredibly angry, because of an argument he had had with a student, whom had proved him wrong in front of a great number of other professors (a Doctoral dissertation, perhaps?). In his anger, this man started erasing the young student from every single record he could get his hands on: tests, papers, class records, emails, even pictures around the room, using an eraser to simply remove this young man from existence.

Later on in the dream, I was heading to a house (the setting was a street I knew back in Puerto Rico). While in this house, I went to the restroom, and after washing my face, discovered that my face had become malleable, much like a thick candle that's been left near a fire, becoming soft enough to be shaped, but still hard enough to retain the shape given. I tried setting my face back to normal, but there were a few things off; I could tell my left eye was lower than normal, and my forehead was slanted where I had tried to push it back into its regular position. That freaked me out.

Even later on, I had arrived at a store which I was to manage. It had music and books, and people working that I knew from various periods in my life. As I was walking towards the back office, I passed a mirror wall, and looked at my reflection: I was faceless.

I could perceive the world--see, smell, and seemingly talk--but my face was completely featureless. There was a slight depression where my eye sockets would be, but that was it, no eyes, no nose, no mouth. What was weird was that this didn't freak me out (in fact, I was more freaked out about the malleable face than about the no face). I don't really remember much after that.

I know that dreams about a face deal with your self identity, so it would seem that I have issues with my identity dissapearing, but I don't feel like going beyond that. It has been the strangest dream I've had in a while, and trust me, weird dreams are normal for me.

No comments: