Friday, May 05, 2006

Cold War: Would This Be A Remake Or A Sequel?

Yahoo! News - Russian Media Warn of New Cold War:
A Russian newspaper said Friday that Vice President Dick Cheney's harsh criticism of Moscow's human rights record signaled the start of a new Cold War.

Read more.

Oh, yay! Does that mean now we can go back to having an actual and obvious enemy?

I'll give you a moment to wipe that driping sarcasm from your screen.

You know, it's not that I agree 100% with what the Russians (and by that I mean Putin, aka. Dobbie) have been doing lately, what with their flagrant violations of human rights and freedoms, and their slow but steady de-evolment back to the good ole days of the USSR, but you gotta wonder about the White House's tactics! Seriously, we need to stop sending out these freakin' Republicans out into the world to represent our views before we have the absolute rest of the world, even freakin' Lichstenstein, against us! I mean, come on, Diplomacy is not just a skill in the d20 System.

What's really sad is that I actually see a behind-the-scenes reason for doing this (you can blame GMSkarka for keeping me so up to date via his blog that I can actually start to imagine plausible conspiracies, not just the cool, literary ones), and it has everything to do with my very first comment after the quote, above. We are currently fighting a war against a faceless enemy, which is why it is so important to keep Bin Laden and Alsarkawi (sp, I don't feel like checking to see if it's correctly spelled) as the "faces" of terrorism. That [insert your favorite cunning expletive here] in Iran is in the running for absconding the top spot, but historically, we never did so well as when we had the Russians as our antagonists back during the days of the Cold War. Does this mean that soon we'll have to add a "I" at the end?

Is 2008 here yet? G-d help us till then.

No comments: