Friday, September 16, 2005

Gotta Give It To Benedictus!

Pope Benedict XVI may not be John Paul II, but he's certainly setting up this papacy to be the most interesting one in some time, and the richest one in terms of plot hooks for gamers. I mean, take a look at this, from MSNBC.com:

Pssst! Where the devil is the exorcist meeting?
Pope greets convention members, urges them to continue good work
Updated: 11:49 a.m. ET Sept. 14, 2005

VATICAN CITY - Orthodontists have national conventions, as do lawyers and computer salespeople. So why not exorcists?

At the end of his weekly general audience on Wednesday Pope Benedict greeted Italian exorcists who, he disclosed, are currently holding their national convention. The pope encouraged them to “carry on their important work in the service of the Church.”

Problem was that until the pope spoke few people outside the inner circle knew that a convention of Beelzebub-busters was going on, presumably in Rome.

Read more.


I mean, it's just too easy! I have to admit, I like my Catholics old-school, and they don't come more old school than Ratzinger.

4 comments:

Daniel M. Perez said...

To be clear, I didn't say anything about all Catholics being crazy (my whole family's Catholic, as was I before I converted). If Pope Benedict wants to have Exorcists on the payroll, more power to him. It makes for great stories and awesome plot-hooks, from where I'm standing.

As far as some priests going haywire in their so-called devotion, there I have to agree. I haven't been able to find info on this Polish priest you mention (links would be great), but I certainly recall a Romanian Orthodox priest who was accused of the murder by torture and crucifiction of a 23-year-old nun while attempting to perform an exorcism (Link). Now, THAT is messed up!

Daniel M. Perez said...

That's a bigger topic than I'd ever get into in a blog post. ;)

Bret said...

Aw, shucks. I was just going to get some popcorn and watch this discussion get really interesting. :)

Daniel M. Perez said...

Sorry, you inciter, you. :)