Sunday, April 30, 2006

A Room Of Man's Own

MiamiHerald.com 04/23/2006 No girls allowed: Men are staking out their own spaces in their homes, with a bit of style

ManCamp: Gotta love that name. I'm not into football or fishing, but I love the idea of a space of my own. Alas, in a small 1-bedroom apt in Miami Beach that is nigh impossible, as even the "office" space we have is really more a storage for all the stuff we have that doesn't fit anywhere else and home to our rabbit (to be fair, however, his little corner is not that big a deal, though his fur flying all over the place is).

I had been actually thinking about this over the last week or so, because I had been trying to envision my ideal home office. First of all, it would have all our books, including all my gaming books, with ample space to expand our collection. On the wall, I'd want a World Map, ideally an Antique World Map along with a modern World Map, though if I'm strapped for wall space (due to all the bookcases), then I'd go for an Antique-style Modern World Map. I'd also want a small desk world globe, just because they are cool and I can pretend that I'm a student at the school of Henry the Navigator or something like that.

In order to have a desk globe I need a desk, but since I have a laptop, a small desk would do, just so I can have a place to spread papers and stack up books that I then forget to put back on the bookcase until I have so much clutter I just go use my computer in the dining room. For my desk, I'd have a multipurpose all-in-one printer/fax/copier/coffee-maker, with a nice, not-too-big chair. Scatter assorted tchotchkes that speak of my interests (like this, or this, for example) and you have a place that I can call my own.

I can dream. :)

No comments: