Monday, November 22, 2004

RPG Questionaire

Once in a while you find these questionaires in websites, emails and other blogs, but this is the first one I have seen RPG related. So here goes (taken from Gareth-Michael Skarka):

1. What is the first RPG you ever played?

Dungeons & Dragons. It was 1986, I was in the 7th grade, and a friend of mine told me about this game his cousin had brought from the States (I was living in Puerto Rico at the time) about fantasy and dragons. I've been hooked ever since.

2. What RPG do you currently play most often?

Though I write d20 material that's D&D compatible, the game I have most played in the last few years has been Vampire: The Masquerade, with an ongoing chronicle since 1999. Recently we started a World of Darkness chronicle with the new rules.

3. What is the best system you've played?

Personally, I've always been a fan of D&D, though I readily accept it has had many problems over the years. I like the new 3.5 edition of the game; I think it's the most solid it has ever been. For more atmospheric games, White Wolf's Storyteller system rocks; I've gone months without rolling dice, based on the story-driven basis of the system.

4. What is the best system you've run?

White Wolf's Storyteller system, I would say. I used to like the Shadowrun system a lot, but then it got too complicated. D&D 3rd and 3.5 edition are a close second.

5. Would you consider yourself an: Elitist/ Min-Maxer/ Rules Lawyer?

If by Elitist you mean middle-of-the-road or story-driven type of player, then that's me. I'm definitely not a Rules Lawyer or a Min-Maxer.

6. If you could recommend a new RPG which would you recommend? Why?

Probably the new World of Darkness by White Wolf. They took a streamlined system and streamlined it even more, taking the best concepts from 3rd edition D&D and applying it to the Storyteller system. The result is a good game that serves even better as a toolkit for modern occult genre games.

7. How often do you play?

Sadly, I haven't been in a regular game in a while. Our gaming schedule is erratic, at best.

8. What sort of characters do you play? Leader? Follower? Comic Relief? Roll-Player/ Role-Player?

Role-player/Leader. Though sometimes I like to play a combat-machine just for kicks.

9. What is your favorite Genre for RPGs?

Fantasy, hands down. I enjoy futuristic/cyberpunk too, but at the end of the day it's fantasy I come back to.

10. What Genres have you played in?

Pretty much every genre available in a game, except for espionage.

11. Do you prefer to play or GM? Do you do both?

I like to do both, though I end up GM-ing more than playing.

12. Do you like religion in your games?

Game-related? Sure. Real life? only if the people involved can be mature and respectful about it. Otherwise, no.

13. Do you have taboo subjects in your games or is everything "fair game"?

Depends on the game and the players. See previous answer.

14. Have you developed your own RPG before?

Whole roleplaying game from the ground up? No, I always adapted others, and now I write for the d20 System.

15. Have you ever been published in the Gaming Industry? If so...what?

Yes. Here's a list:

  • "Bardic Lore: The Fachan" - Highmoon Media Productions (2004)
    Writer
  • "Liber Sodalitas: Erzsak's Drake Riders" - Highmoon Media Productions (2004)
    Writer
  • "Liber Sodalitas: The Blind Path" - Highmoon Media Productions (2004)
    Writer
  • "The Player's Guide to Arcanis" - Paradigm Concepts, Inc. (2004)
    Additional Design
  • "Nishanpur: City of Secrets" - Paradigm Concepts, Inc. (2004)
    Additional Design (my name was left off the credits)
  • Campaign Magazine, Issue 8 - Fast Forward Entertainment, Inc. (2003)
    Author, "The Green Bough Glen" and "Four Magical Feats"
  • "Alchemy & Herbalists" - Bastion Press, Inc. (2002)
    Additional Material
  • "Codex Arcanis" - Paradigm Concepts, Inc. (2002)
    Additional Design
  • "Hidden Greed" - RPGA Living Arcanis adventure, Paradigm Concepts, Inc. (2001)
    Writer
  • "At the Edge of the Abyss" - RPGA Living Greyhawk adventure, Wizards of the Coast. (2001)
    Writer
  • "Hawk's Pride" - RPGA Living City adventure, Wizards of the Coast. (2001)
    Writer
  • Pyramid Magazine - Steve Jackson Games. (1998)
    Reviewer, "Clan Novel: Toreador" book review

No comments: